Wednesday, September 15, 2010

NFC North Preview


Green Bay Packers – Seinfeld


Why Seinfeld? –
Seinfeld is considered the best TV show of all time. The Packers are considered the best franchise of all time. Seinfeld is about nothing. Besides the Packers, Green Bay is about nothing. Michael Richards became hated after leaving Seinfeld. Bret Favre became hated after leaving Green Bay. Seinfeld had the Soup Nazi. Green Bay has football Nazis. Jerry Seinfeld wrote a bestselling book. Vince Lombardi wrote a bestselling book. Finally, all Green Bay fans from Green Bay look somewhat like George Costanza or Newman.

Analysis – I really like the Packers this year. I think their offense is improved over a year ago, and the offense last year wasn’t too shabby. Aaron Rodgers is going to have a huge year. Jermichael Finley, Greg Jennings and Donald Driver should benefit from Rodgers’ huge year. The offensive line has improved which should give Rodgers more time in the pocket. And, the defense will be good, led by recently re-signed to an extension Charles Woodson. The Pack are a scary team. I am predicting 13 wins from Green Bay this year. With that being said, with only one backup QB on the roster, that being Matt Flynn from LSU, the Packers are one Rodgers injury away from being a six or seven win team.


Favorite Player – Charles Woodson. When I was little, although I’ve always been a Hawkeye, I was fascinated by Michigan football. I think it was the helmets that got me hooked. The team with Brian Griese and Charles Woodson is my all-time favorite non-Iowa college football team. I still like Woodson and think he is one of the best defensive players ever in both college football and the NFL.


Least Favorite Player – Al Harris. He is a turd.


2009 Record – 11-5


2010 Prediction – 13-3




Minnesota Vikings – The Office


Why The Office? –
It didn’t take long to weed out the real Office fans. After about season two or three, an unexpected number of fans started turning on the show by saying it had “Jumped the Shark” and needed to end. I may be in the minority, but I thought seasons five and six were fantastic. The Office is a show that can be a week to week pleasure, without a great storyline. The acting is subperb, the characters are hilarious, and the show itself is one of my all time favorites. The Vikings are in somewhat the same boat. Everybody loved the Favre pickup, but it didn’t take long for people to jump off the ship, so to speak. Already this season, after one loss, people are saying Tarvaris Jackson is a better answer at quarterback. People love Chris Johnson (30 Rock) and forget about Adrian Peterson (The Office). People forget how great the spporting cast of the Vikings and the Office are. Jared Allen, Percy Harvin, Vinchante Shianco, Chad Greenway, The Williams’s, Sidney Rice (when healthy), and Bernard Barrian, just to name a few are about as talented as Jim, Pam, Dwight and the Nard Dog. Just because they don’t have the hype this year like in years past, don’t count out the Vikings or The Office without giving them a chance. It is Favre and Michael Scott’s last run. Those guys are capable of making it a real good one.

Analysis – I am a pessimist. 20 years of being an Indians, Pacers and Vikings fan has made me that way. I am extremely worried about the 2010 Vikings. Injuries and lack of practice has shown to be problems. Favre looks old, but Jackson is terrible. AP looks great, but Chester Taylor is gone. The receivers are solid, but Rice is hurt and Harvin had very little action in camp. The Vikings have an extremely tough schedule this year. They could match last year’s 12 wins, or they could go about 6-10 and I wouldn’t be surprised. I think the keys for the Vikings are keeping Favre healthy and getting the receivers on the same page as Favre, having either Albert Young or Toby Gerheart establish themselves as a competent backup for Peterson, and being 2-1 at the end of week three. They have a bye in week four, so they must beat the Dolphins and Lions to feel decent after three games. If they can do that, and get healthy by week five or six, they have a realistic chance of making the playoffs. If this team makes the playoffs, they have enough talent to beat anybody. The question is: can a 41 year old Favre stay healthy enough to get them into the playoffs and then perform in them?

Favorite Player – Chad Greenway. This is too hard to pick because I love the Vikings and everybody is my favorite player. I could have easily said Adrian Peterson, or Jared Allen, or Brett Favre. I chose Greenway because I like to sport my purple Greenway #52 jersey, and he is a Hawkeye.

Least Favorite Player – Brad Childress. I am making an exception here by picking the coach. This team is 1-0 with a different coach. Childress’s 2nd half game plan in New Orleans was terrible. I hate him and hope the Vikings fire him after this season, even though I know they wont.

2009 Record – 12-4

2010 Prediction – 9-7

Detroit Lions – Prison Break
Why Prison Break? – Nobody wants to be in prison. Up until recently, nobody wanted to be in Detroit. The Lions are starting to “break” the mold of former Lions teams (like that play on words?). They have finally had some good draft picks, seem to have a good quarterback in place, and some real direction in the front office. The Lions have been stuck in NFL Prison for as long as I can remember, maybe Stafford, Best and Johnson can finally break them out and into the greener pastures of the playoffs.

Analysis – I like the Lions this year. They should be 1-0, even without a healthy Stafford for the second half. Stupid fucking Bears. If the worst rule in the history of sports hadn’t ruled Calvin Johnson’s touchdown an incomplete pass, the Lions would have won an opener on the road! The defense has improved. Ndamukong Suh is a stud already. Jahvid Best has some serious explosiveness at running back. Calvin Johnson has as much talent as any receiver in the league, and Matt Stafford is getting better every week. When healthy, that is. I don’t think the Lions will make the playoffs this year, but I think they are moving in the right direction. Finally.
Favorite Player – Matt Stafford. I usually don’t like guys from the SEC, but I thought Stafford handled himself very well last year as a quarterback coming into a tough situation.

Least Favorite Player – Shaun Hill. He is terrible.

2009 Record – 2-14

2010 Prediction – 3-13



Chicago – Will and Grace


Why Will and Grace? –
The Bears are gay.

Analysis – I always tend to overestimate the Bears because my lifelong sports fandom has made me a pessimist. My head tells me the Bears will be subpar this year, but my heart, which hates the Bears, tells me they could be decent and possibly make a playoff push. I would hate to see the Bears in the playoffs, even if it does mean a one and done, which it would inevitably be. The new Mike Matrz offense is a big hype machine, but really, who cares? Martz has done nothing good since taking over Dick Vermeil’s St. Louis team. Jay Cutler will put up big numbers this year. Those numbers will come in good and bad forms. A lot of yards, and a lot of turnovers. Matt Forte is overrated. He is the Giovanny Soto of football. That means his career year may be behind him. Keep in mind, Forte only had two 100 yard rushing games in 2009, both against the Lions. Chester Taylor is a good addition at the running back position. I’m not crazy about the Bears defense, although a healthy Brian Urlacher will help. I do like the receiving core of Johnny Knox and Devin Aromashodu, but I do not love them. The Bears have 8-8 written all over them, but they will get lucky a couple times, as the Bears tend to do, and win nine or ten games.

Favorite Player – Chester Taylor. I hate the fact the Vikings did not resign Chester Taylor. I think he will show Chicago fans he is better than Matt Forte. Chester runs hard, catches well, and is one of the best pass blocking backs in the league. He will be missed.

Least Favorite Player – Jay Cutler. I don’t think even Bears fans like Jay Cutler. He has more turnovers than a bakery. His smug attitude makes me wish Ditka was still the coach to slap it out of him. He has a strong arm, sure, but what does it matter when his strong passes usually fall into the hands of the opposing safteys?

2009 Record – 7-9

2010 Prediction – 9-7

No comments:

Post a Comment