Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Midwest Region

All my brackets are going to be posted on here along with my picks. I hope to get a perfect bracket and use this blog to get me a job at either ESPN or playboy.com.


First Round

(1) Kansas vs. (16) Lehigh – I would take Kansas this game even if their starting five all got anthrax poisoning. Pick: Kansas
(8) UNLV vs. (9) UNI – This is an interesting game because UNLV is so athletic and UNI is so grind-it-out systematic. I think UNI was under-seeded, and even though I feel like UNLV might out-quick them, I’m going with the Panthers to slow them down. Pick: UNI
(5) Michigan St vs. (12) New Mexico St. –
I like the trendy New Mexico St. pick, but Izzo is too good to let his team continue to falter like they have lately. Kalin Lucas will have to come alive, and I think he will, unlike Cory Haim (too soon?). Pick: Michigan St.
(4) Maryland vs. (13) Houston – I wanted to pick Houston due to their 6 on 5 advantage if you include the thing on Coleman’s neck, plus I like the way Coleman scores the ball, but I have to take Gary Williams because he will out-sweat Tom Penders. Pick: Maryland
(6) Tennessee vs. (11) San Diego St. – Another trendy upset pick, Tennessee has stumbled of late, but I like Bruce Pearl and his style of play too much to pick against him. Although, if they lose, he can buy his gold blazer sooner and begin his reign as Iowa Basketball coach! Pick - Tennessee
(3) Georgetown vs. (14) Ohio
– Not a fan of JT3, or JT jr. for that matter, but Georgetown is playing real well, and Freeman has thrived since his diabetes diagnosis. I’m going to keep a pitch count of how many times the announcers say “diabetes” during this game. I’m guessing over 40. Pick: Georgetown
(7) Oklahoma St. vs. (10) Georgia Tech – I hate picking this game. James Anderson is a stud. Derrick Favors is a stud. Oklahoma State looked great beating Kansas. Georgia Tech looked great beating Duke. I’m going with Georgia Tech because I think Favors will have a big game before he makes the jump to the League. Pick: Georgia Tech
(2) Ohio St. vs. (15) UC Santa Barbara – My girlfriend picked Ohio State to win it all. I think this is because I talk about Evan Turner a lot..in the bedroom..and in my sleep. Pick: Ohio State

Second Round:
(1) Kansas vs. (9) UNI –
I hate this matchup for Kansas because of UNI’s style of play. But this is the same UNI team I saw get beat by Bradley, and Kansas has more scoring options than any team UNI has seen all year. Too much for the Panthers. Pick: Kansas
(5) Michigan State vs. (4) Maryland
– Maryland is playing better and Michigan State is a mess. I get that. But Izzo pulls more stuff out of his ass in March than Lance Bass. I’m going with a minor upset here. Pick: Michigan State
(6) Tennessee vs. (3) Georgetown –
I really wanted to pick the Volunteers in this one, but Georgetown looked real good in the Big East Tournament. We have learned in the last few years the previous game means nothing when judging Georgetown, but I bitched out and took the Hoyas. Pick: Georgetown
(10) Georgia Tech vs. (2) Ohio State – I like Ohio State’s balance and guard play way too much to pick Georgia Tech. Turner, Diebler and Lighty should eat up Georgia Tech’s guards. As long as Lauderdale stays out of foul trouble, the Buckeyes should win. Pick: Ohio State

Sweet Sixteen
(1) Kansas vs. (5) Michigan State –
Michigan State has the talent and guard play to challenge Kansas, but I think Self will have his players ready for Lucas and co. and will take the game and move on. Pick: Kansas
(3) Georgetown vs. (2) Ohio State –
Really tough game to pick. I think Monroe will have a big game against OSU, but I’m riding this Evan Turner train into the Elite Eight and sticking with Norman Dale, I mean Thad Matta’s Bucks. Pick: Ohio State

Elite Eight
(1) Kansas vs. (2) Ohio State –
I think this might be one of the most intriguing possible matchups in the country. Kansas is deeped than OSU, but OSU’s starting five poses matchup problems. There is also about four potential lottery picks in this matchup. As much as I love Evan Turner (and want the Pacers to lose out and attempt to get Turner) I have to stick with Kansas to move on to Indianapolis. Let’s hope Evan Turner plays his games in Indy in about seven months instead of three weeks. Pick: Kansas

No comments:

Post a Comment