Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Ohhhh Kemba.


I played a lot of video games when I was younger. I was a pro at Nintendo and Super Nintendo. I still think I could beat anybody in the world in a seven game series of Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball for Super Nintendo (Bing it onnnn, Griffey!). Now a days, I’m not a gamer. Not enough time and not enough money to keep up with the new games. I am thankful of my old habits though. Not just because I am awesome at Mario, DK Country and Super Techmo Bowl, but because it started a love affair with one of my “backup” teams.



I have what some might call “backup” teams. They are not really back up teams though, because no matter what, I will always cheer for the Indians, Vikings, Pacers and Hawkeyes over anybody else. There is a couple teams, however, that I like a little less, but still follow very closely for other reasons. I like the Dodgers because my dad grew up a Bums fan. I like the Colts because of my many trips to Indianapolis as a kid to see Pacers games. And, I like the Uconn Huskies men’s basketball team because of some old college basketball video game for Super Nintendo. I liked the Husky logo. I always wanted a husky, and the Uconn team became the next best thing. My Mom actually got me German Sheppard, which we named Yukon. I grew up watching Ray Allen, Donyell Marshall and that little tub-o-lard Khalid El-Amin. If they ever play Iowa, I am 100% Hawkeye. But, it is nice to be able to cheer for the Huskies to win, knowing I have been a fan since the days of two button gaming controllers. The reason I tell you this (besides not being labeled a bandwagoner), is that I have gotten so much joy out of watching the Huskies this year. I've been showered with this joy for one reason: Kemba Walker.



In their preseason college basketball preview issue, Sports Illustrated didn’t even put Uconn in the field of 68. Then Maui happened. Kemba took a team of unknowns to wins over Wichita State, Michigan State and Kentucky to the Maui Invatitional Title. I thought it could have been a fluke and teams would look at tape and figure out how to stop Kemba, and therefore stop the Huskies. It didn’t happen. They went on to beat teams such as Harvard and Texas in the non-conference, and then went 9-9 in the Big East. 9-9 isn’t eye-popping, but it isn’t bad considering the youth of the team and the strength of the conference. The downside of 9-9 is that it forced Uconn to play the first day of the Big East Tournament.


Before the tournament started, Uconn had senior day. It was their last game of the regular season against Notre Dame. The Huskies lost the game, but that wasn’t the story. The story was that the team that starts one junior, one sophomore, and three freshmen had one of their starters, and their star, being recognized for senior day. How could this happen? Because Kemba Walker will graduate in May with his degree in only three years. Kemba not only carried this team all year while setting a good example on the court, he also did it in the classroom. Not a bad lesson for a young team.


First day of the Big East Tournament was no problem. The Huskies stomped DePaul, and then made Georgetown know their role. The Pitt game, also known as the game where Kemba broke Gary McGhee’s ankles for the game winner, was the game that opened the nation’s eyes that maybe the Huskies could make history. In the semis, they beat Syracuse in a grueling overtime game. National talking heads thought they would lose the title game to Louisville because of fatigue. Kemba wasn’t having any of it. After carrying the scoring load for four games and most of the Louisville game, he made the biggest play of the night on a drive and wrap around pass to secure the Big East Championshp for the Huskies. The performance was immediately dubbed as historic. It was a wild ride through the Big East gauntlet, and still, people thought Uconn was too young or tired to be a real threat in the Big Dance.

Kemba wouldn’t allow a first round upset as he led the Huskies over Bucknell in impressive fashion. I would argue that Uconn looked more impressive in the first round of the Dance than any other team in the nation. In the second round, they drew conference rival Cincinnati. Kemba was in obvious pain. His leg was bothering him. He gutted it out, like a true team captain does, and went on an 8-0 run by himself to will the Huskies to victory. The Cincinnati game was a microcosim of the season for Uconn. The younger guys struggled and looked inexpirenced and overmatched, and then their leader took over and led them to victory. He showed the young pups how to win. He led by example.

Uconn goes into this weekend with a tall task. First they have to take on the #2 seed San Diego State. The Aztecs are an incredibly athletic team, and they have expirence. If Uconn gets by them, then they will likely play the defending national champions: Duke. (I realize Arizona could beat Duke, but Duke will be favored). Even though Uconn is one of the most decorated basketball programs of the last 15 years, they are the David of the region. Uconn, starting the young guys who were not highly touted out of high school (except maybe Jeremy Lamb) and Kemba against the defending champs from Duke and possibly #1 overall pick Kyrie Irving is a David and Goliath matchup. It may not be Duke vs. Butler, but it would be some story if Uconn could knock them off.

Regardless of what happens this weekend, Kemba Walker has taken all the Uconn fans on a great journey this year. He took a team that was supposed to be near the cellar of the Big East and got them a Big East Tournament title, a #3 seed and a Sweet Sixteen appearance. He has set a great example for the kids at Uconn now, and the ones coming to the program in the next few years, both on and off the court. He has put a team on his shoulers and danced into late March. Maybe someday I will finally get that husky puppy I’ve always wanted. If I have already had a child, which is what I will use the name “Reggie Miller Estes” on, then maybe I’ll save the name Kemba Estes for my pup. Has a nice ring to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment