Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Game By Game Exact Right Picks For The Tourney. I Promise.


This college basketball season has been extremely underrated. The parity has been fantastic. Ohio State made, what I thought, was a legitimate run at being undefeated. They lost two games in the regular season, both on the road, to two teams that just don’t lose at home. The Big East got 11 teams into the tournament. 11 teams! Not many people expected to see UConn, St. John’s or Cincinnati in their bracket at the start of the season. BYU is a top ten team. Love the Mormons or hate the Mormons, they have the most skilled player in the nation, and have done this while recruiting…MORMANS! How hard would it be to recruit guys to “honor” their honor code in this day and age? And to be a top ten team? Unbelievable. There were hundreds of other storylines this season, and they made for a great year.

The problem with parity comes now. Filling out the bracket is a real pain in the ass this year. I didn’t know who to pick. Do I overanalyze everything like I usually do, thinking all the hours of college basketball that I watched, and everybody else in my pool didn’t, will benefit me? It usually doesn’t. I could break down every matchup in the tournament, while some of my friends couldn’t name five players in the tournament. Total. But yet, they still beat me more often than not. I just keep hoping my rationale of watching games every night from November until March pays off in the form of a wining bracket. This is that winning bracket. (Until Thursday, when it is done for.)

East Regional
(1) Ohio State vs. (16) UT San Antonio/Alabama State - I was going to take Alabama State in this game, then I remembered that 1) They would be tired from the play-in game. And 2) Tarvaris Jackson went there. Pick – Ohio State

(8) George Mason vs. (9)Villanova This game is interesting. I really think Villanova is still good. Maybe I am naive. I realize they have lost 10 of their last 15 games, but I don’t really care. I am just not that crazy about George Mason. Plus, I just read the book Cinderella about their final four run, and it bored me to tears. Could have been a great book, but wasn’t. For that, I am bitter and will ride Corey Fisher. Come on Nova. Pick - Villanova

(5) West Virginia vs. (12) UAB/Clemson – West Virginia played really well at home this year. But that is about all I can say about the Mountaineers. The good news is that they play either UAB or Clemson. I think Clemson wins that game, and although they looked really good in the first half against North Carolina in the ACC Tournament, they are notorious for caving in big games. Playing West Virginia in the “second round” (which I refuse to call it from here on out. It will be called the Round of 32), is a big game. Take me home, country roads. Pick – West Virginia
(4) Kentucky vs. (13)Princeton – I hate this matchup for Princeton. Not that I was leaning towards picking them anyway, but I think this is a case of too much athleticism. I hate Coach Cal and Kentucky, so I will pick them. Pick - Kentucky

(6) Xavier vs. (11) Marquette – This game has been a real flip-flopper for me. I immediately liked Marquette but have since changed my mind. The reason goes back to last year. I picked Minnesota, the 11 seed to beat the six, Xavier. Then I picked the six seed Marquette to beat the 11, Washington. Both Xavier and Marquette proved me wrong, and I feel I owe it to Xavier to give them a chance. Terrible rationale. Oh God. Pick - Xavier

(3) Syracuse vs. (14) Indiana State – Is Larry Bird playing? No, but Jake Kelley is. Big whoop. Orange roll. Pick - Syracuse

(7) Washington vs. (10) Georgia – I am a notorious SEC hater. I liked the way Washington played in the Pac 10 Tourney. I don't think Georgia should have even have made the tournament, so I am sticking with the Huskies. Pick - Washington

(2) North Carolina vs. (15) Long Island – Man would I love the Blackbirds to pull off this upset. But, it won’t happen. I don’t care how fast LIU plays, they can’t hang with the Tar Heels. Pick – North Carolina

Round of 32

(1) Ohio State vs. (9) Villanova
I have loved Ohio State all year, and I don’t think they let me down this early. Sullinger will be too much for Nova inside. Pick – Ohio State

(4) Kentucky vs. (5) West Virginia - Rematch of last year, with drastically different looking teams, but same looking hair styles for the coaches. I don’t love either team, but Kentucky does have talent. They may be young, but they are talented none the less. I like Kentucky to avenge last year’s loss. Pick – Kentucky

(6) Xavier vs. (3) Syracuse – The loss to UConn may not be a terrible thing for Syracuse. It gave them an opportunity to heel up after a brutal schedule this season. I think they have flown under the radar a little bit this year, and I think they will continue to fly under it right into the Sweet Sixteen. Pick – Syracuse

(7) Washington vs. (2) North Carolina – I so much want to pick U-Dub to upset UNC, but I just can’t do it. Washington has been just too inconsistent this year. I think Carolina has too much fire power for this one, but, if they fall behind the Huskies like they did Miami and Clemson last week, a comeback will be much harder against a solid Washington team. Pick – North Carolina

Sweet Sixteen

(1) Ohio State vs. (4) Kentucky –
This is the game that the balance and experience of the Buckeyes pays off. Kentucky could hang with Ohio State, but they are so young and inexperienced. I think the Buckeyes have just too many weapons to lose this one. It will come down to how Kraft and Diebler manage the game. Ohio State defiantly has an advantage with Sullinger, Lauderdale and Lighty, but the guards going against Brandon Knight will decide the game. Pick – Ohio State

(3) Syracuse vs. (2) North Carolina – This is where I think Carolina meets their match. They have feasted on less talented teams all year, but have struggled against teams that have as much firepower. I think the Orange take them down and send Harrison Barnes on his way to the NBA. Pick – Syracuse

Elite Eight


(1) Ohio State vs. (3) Syracuse –
What a game this could be. Big East and Big Ten powers battling it out. I watched the UConn vs. Syracuse game the other night, and I liked what I saw from the Orange, but, I don’t think they have the scoring options to keep up with the Buckeyes. I am riding the Bucks to the Final Four. O-H-I-O. Pick – Ohio State.



West Region


(1) Duke vs. (16) Hampton –
Remember when Hampton as a #15 seed beat the #2 seed Iowa State? That was awesome. Don’t get any ideas though. Pick - Duke

(8) Michigan vs. (9) Tennessee – At the start of the year I picked Michigan to finish last in the Big Ten. Wow did they prove me wrong. Tim Hardaway Jr. turned out to be fantastic. But, I still don’t think Michigan has enough options on offense. Tennessee could wear down the Wolverines with their press. I like Bruce Pearl to get a shot at Duke. Pick - Tennessee

(5) Arizona vs. (12) Memphis – Tigers vs. Wildcats. Memphis isn’t very good. They were lucky to get by UTEP in the awful Conference USA. I do like Derrick Williams and Arizona. Sean Miller has that program back in the right direction. Pick - Arizona

(4) Texas vs. (13) Oakland – I think I am on the same page as a lot of people when I thought Oakland would be a Cinderella this year. Then, I saw their first round draw and changed my mind. Remember, Texas was battling for a #1 seed like a week ago. Pick - Texas

(6) Cincinnati vs. (11) Missouri – I went back and forth on this game, just like I did with the Xavier/Marquette game. In the end, I decided to go with Missouri, in hopes their frantic style of play causes problems for Cincinnati. Pick - Missouri

(3) UConn vs. (14) Bucknell What a run last week for UConn. For those that don’t know, growing up I had some college basketball video game for Super Nintendo, and started to like UConn, solely for their logo. My Mom knew this and got me a dog and we named it Yukon. I will always be a Hawkeyes fan first, but I follow UConn very closely and love to see them win. So, obviously, I love Kemba Walker. He will take the young pups into the round of 32. Pick - UConn

(7) Temple vs. (10) Penn State – I think Taylor Battle is one of the most overlooked players in college basketball. He has been a solid point guard for Penn State since his freshman year, and this is his first chance to show it on the big stage. Too bad I think Temple is too good for Penn State. Pick - Temple

(2) San Diego State vs. (15) No. Colorado – Steve Fisher with a #2 seed. Think the Fab Five will be in attendance? After seeing the documentary the other day, I could see four of them being there, with Weber probably not anywhere to be found. Great documentary by the way. Just riveting. Oh, right, the game. I like the Aztecs. Pick – San Diego State


Round of 32

(1) Duke vs. (9) Tennessee –
Don’t sleep on Tennessee. They are not a great team, or even a team capable of a Final Four run, but they are a team capable of beating any team on any given night. I would be about 80% surprised if they won, but that’s not 100%. I still like the Dukies. Pick – Duke

(5) Arizona vs. (4) Texas – Seems like Arizona is the trendy pick here, but I am bucking the trend and sticking with the Longhorns. I don’t really know why, I just think the Pac 10 was weak and Arizona will struggle with the Big 12's Longhorns. Pick – Texas

(3) UConn vs. (11) Missouri – Two years ago, when Kemba Walker was a freshman, UConn played Missouri in the Torunament. He has seen the Missouri style of play before. It may surprise the rest of the young Huskies, but not Kemba. If he gets ANY help from Napier, Lamb or Smith, they should hold on. Pick – Uconn

(7) Temple vs. (2) San Diego State – Both strange teams from “sort of” Mid-Majors. I don’t know what to think of this matchup. I just have to go with the athleticism, and that is San Diego State. In Latin that means Whale’s Vagina State. Pick – San Diego State


Sweet Sixteen


(1) Duke vs. (4) Texas –
Great matchup here. I want to pick Texas so bad, (spoiler alert!) mainly to avoid have four #1’s in the Final Four. I am still up in the air about it. After all the good games Duke has played in a tournament format over the last 12 months, I feel like it is time for something to go wrong. But Texas just isn’t that great. If Texas wins this, I will be incredibly angry. Incredibly. Pick - Duke

(3) UConn vs. (2) San Diego State – Another interesting matchup for the Huskies. San Diego State may be a #2 seed, but the Huskies would likely be favored to win this matchup and certainly wouldn’t be intimidated. That may not bold well for UConn. It seems like they play better as underdogs. I feel like one bad game by Kemba and the Huskies are done. San Diego State already learned their lesson with BYU, shutting down the other four players and letting Jimmer get his. This may be the key to beating the Huskies too. Either shut down Kemba, or shut down the other four. This is a “hedge” game. If San Diego State wins, then I got my pick right, but if UConn wins, they I am thrilled. I think the Aztecs move on, although it hurts my heart to say it. Pick – San Diego State


Elite Eight

(1) Duke vs. (2) San Diego State –
San Diego State is a surprise to get this far. I don’t care what their seed is, they are San Diego State. Now is the time for Fisher’s boys to go home. Duke is too mighty. Dukies to Houston. Pick - Duke



Southwest


(1) Kansas vs. (16) Boston U –
I went to Boston last summer and had an absolute blast. One of the best times of my life. It also made Sam Adams my favorite beer. You ever associate some type of food or drink with some event or place and it makes it taste just so much better? I think that’s why I like Sam Adams so much. Oh, yeah, Boston will lose by 30. Pick - Kansas

(8) UNLV vs. (9) Illinois – Man, do I hate Illinois. I didn’t think they were a Big Ten title contender at the beginning of the season like some people thought. Turns out I was right. Once again, the Illini underachieved under Bruce Weber. When will people realize he is no different than Ron Zook? Good recruits, bad coaching. I still think they have enough talent, led by Demitri McCamey, to beat the Runnin’ Rebels. Pick - Illinois

(5) Vanderbilt vs. (12) Richmond – It seems like every year I want so badly to pick against a higher seeded Vandy team against a 11-14 seed. The thing is, so far, it has done me pretty good. I’ll stick with the trend. Let’s hope Richmond doesn’t lay a turd like last year. Pick - Richmond

(4) Louisville vs. (13) Morehead State– Am I the only one who came away really impressed with Louisville from the Big East Tournament? I loved their backcourt of Knowels and Siva. The interior game of Louisville is suspect, but the Pitino press just wears teams down. Morehead St. is in the same boat as Oakland for me. I wanted to pick them, until I saw their draw. I gotta stick with Louisville. Pick - Louisville

(6) Georgetown vs. (11) USC/VCU I think it will be Georgetown against USC, since VCU has no business in the tournament at all. I also think Georgetown will beat USC. With Chris Wright, they are once again a Final Four contender. John Thompson Jr. is due for a big NCAA Tournament run isn’t he? Nope, I didn’t think so either. Pick - Georgetown

(3) Purdue vs. (14) Saint Peter’s – I picked Purdue to win the Big Ten Tournament. Man, did that look stupid. They looked as good as any team in the country before their game in Iowa City two weeks ago. Since then, they have lost to Iowa and Michigan State and looked discombulated. I still have faith that they will turn it around and “Boiler Up” against Saint Peter’s. Pick - Purdue

(7) Texas A&M vs. (10) Florida State – I think these two teams are a lot alike. I look at both as a team that can win one game in the tournament, but that’s it. The problem is that they are playing each other and I don’t know who to pick. I decided to settle this, I would just pick the better conference, and that is the Big 12 (slightly). Pick – Texas A&M

(2) Notre Dame vs. (15) Akron – Unless LeBron is playing for Akron, I’m going with Little Brother Hansbrough and the Irish. Especially so close to St. Patrick’s day. Pick – Notre Dame


Round of 32


(1) Kansas vs. (9) Illinois – I will take pleasure in seeing Bill Self beat the shit out of Bruce Weber and the Illini. Weber is still living off the glory of Self’s players, so run up the score if at all possible Mr. Self. Pick – Kansas

(4) Louisville vs. (12) Richmond – Not crazy about Richmond. I couldn’t believe they beat Temple in the A-10 Tournament. They got their win over Vandy, now they will lose to the Cardinals. Pick – Louisville

(3) Purdue vs. (6) Georgetown - Here is Purdue’s test. I think they pass it. Moore and Johnson can’t let their careers end without a Sweet Sixteen appearance. Pick – Purdue

(2) Notre Dame vs. (7) Texas A&M – How the Irish have become one of the top two #2 seeds in this tournament is beyond me. Ben Hansbrough and the other seniors have played great this year. Could Ben join Tyler in Indy next year? Why not? First, he will have to get the Irish past A&M. Drink some Guinness Irish fans. It will happen. Pick – Notre Dame


Sweet Sixteen

(1) Kansas vs. (4) Louisville –
This could be a real slobber-knocker. Louisville has out-toughed teams all year. They have worn down teams and won on toughness. This won’t be enough against Kansas. The Morris brothers won’t let Kansas be upset early again. No UNI this year (not that losing to a #4 seed is anything like losing to the Panthers last year, just remembering fondly). Pick – Kansas

(2) Notre Dame vs. (3) Purdue – Battle of two Indiana teams. What a state for basketball. I think JaJuan Johnson takes this game over. Notre Dame has lived off expirence this year. That is something that is not foreign to Purdue. Just think if Robbie Hummel wasn’t injured. Boilermakers represent the Big 10 in the Elite Eight. Pick – Purdue


Elite Eight

(1) Kansas vs. (3) Purdue –
Here is where the Boilers could use Hummel. Too much athleticism for Purdue to deal with without Robbie. Kansas wins and makes the Final Four after the disappointment of last year. Pick – Kansas



Southeast

(1) Pittsburgh vs. (16) UNC Ashville/Arkansas-Little Rock –
Arkansas-Little Rock’s game to get here was awesome. (Note: They just lost to Ashville. There goes my upset special). I love Championship week. Pick - Pittsburgh

(8) Butler vs. (9) Old Dominion – I mentioned this Sunday, but I just read Underdawgs, a book by David Woods about Butler’s run last season. Really makes you appreciate Butler basketball and the amazing journey last year. But, a lot of those guys are gone. Butler hasn’t been the same this year, and Old Dominion is a really good team. Plus, the Monarchs is a sweet name. Pick – Old Dominion

(5) Kansas State vs. (12) Utah State – Hasn’t Utah State been the trendy upset pick for like 10 years in a row now? I always avoid the hype of Utah State, and it has served me well. One of these years they are going to bite me in the butt, but hopefully that bite waits at least another year. Pick – Kansas State

(4) Wisconsin vs. (13) Belmont – I don’t really know what to make of Wisconsin. I always think Bo Ryan teams are capable of beating anybody due to their style of play. They slow you down, and grind out wins. This is a strange team this year. If the Tournament was being played at the Kohl Center, I would pencil them in as national champions right away. But, it is not being played in Madison. Jon Leuer and Aaron Taylor are both underrated players. They can take over games, as was shown against #1 seed Ohio State. I think Wisconsin will win a game or two, but I wouldn’t be surprised by an upset either. Pick - Wisconsin

(6) St. Johns vs. (11) Gonzaga I don’t like St. Johns. I am sick of hearing how “St. John’s being good is good for college basketball”. Is it really? People in New York have Syracuse. The Big East has enough history-rich programs that are good to be so concerned about the Johnnies. I think Gonzaga wins this game. I don’t know why, maybe it is because this is the year many people thought Gonzaga really dropped off. It has the feeling of an old-school Gonzaga upset. Maybe I am just picking with my heart. Lets just hope the refs decide to work the last two seconds of the game. Pick - Gonzaga

(3) BYU vs. (14) WoffordBYU reminds me of Steph Curry’s Davidson teams, except possibly a little better. That are really a one man team. The dismissal of Kyle Davies hurts a lot. Defenses will throw everything they have at Jimmer, which they have done all year, but now he has less options to take some heat off him. I think BYU has a nice draw here, but they are not the title contenders that they were a couple weeks ago. Pick - BYU

(7) UCLA vs. (10) Michigan State – I loved Michigan State coming into this year. They let me down all year, but still snuck into the tournament. I really thought that after they beat Purdue in the Big Ten Tournament that Izzo had worked his magic again, but then they laid a turd against Penn State. I just don’t know what to think of Michigan State. Will they be the team that beat Purdue last week, or the team that lost by 20 in Iowa City a month or two ago? Who knows. I am scared to pick them. Pick - UCLA

(2) Florida vs. (15) UC Santa Barbara – I said Sunday that this is the worst batch of #2 seeds ever in the NCAA Tournament. They could all make the Final Four and prove me wrong, but I am just not sold on any of them. I think Florida is one of the worst #2 seeds ever. They are not a bad team, but they deserve a #4 or #5 seed. In a good year, they would be a #6 or #7. Just a strange team on the two line. With that being said, they have a great draw. They could make some moves because of the other teams in their region. We will see. Let’s just hope if they do win, nobody dances like Joakim Noah. Pick - Florida


Round of 32


(1) Pittsburgh vs. (9) Old Dominion
– ODU is a solid mid-major, but not solid enough to beat Pitt. Too much strength for the Panthers. Pick – Pittsburgh

(4) Wisconsin vs. (5) Kansas State – Man, have I went back and forth on this game. If either team had been consistent this season I would pick them. But Wisconsin has looked awful in their last two games. Kansas State hasn’t looked much better, after looking like they have righted the ship. I got to the point where I decided which team was more likely to be upset in the first round (Kansas State) and picked Wisconsin as insurance. Then I changed my mind. Pick – Kansas State

(3) BYU vs. (11) Gonzaga – West Coast battle here. I like the Mormons to win, but again, I am not sold on them. Gonzaga got their win, now they can go home. The one thing that could sway my position is if John Stockton’s son comes out and announces he will honor his dad by wearing nut-hugger shorts. Then I’m going with Gonzaga. Pick – BYU

(2) Florida vs. (7) UCLA –
This reminds me a lot of the Washington vs. North Carolina potential matchup. I could defiantly see UCLA knocking off Florida, I just don’t have faith in the Pac 10. Gotta stick with the worst #2 seed ever. Pick – Florida


Sweet Sixteen

(1) Pittsburgh vs. (4) Wisconsin –
Wisconsin is a team capable of knocking off the Panthers, but I don’t think they will. Wisconsin beats teams with discipline. Pittsburgh is also a disciplined team. They can match Wisconsin’s discipline, and beat them with athleticism. Pick – Pittsburgh

(3) BYU vs. (2) Florida –
I wish I didn’t have to pick either of these teams. I guess I go with Florida because they have the better team. But I hate to do that. Pick – Florida


Elite Eight

(1) Pittsburgh vs. (2) Florida –
I told myself when I first saw the four #1 seeds “I will advance three of them and leave Pittsburgh out”. Well, I didn’t know Pittsburgh would have the worst region ever. Maybe I don’t mean the worst region “ever”, but I do think this is the worst #1 vs. #2 matchup for the Final Four birth ever. I will go with the Panthers because I just don’t like Florida enough. That’s right, I am going boring. I am going “chalk”. After such a crazy season, I think the cream rises to the top and all four #1 seeds advance. That is so lame now that I think about it, but I don’t care. Pick – Pittsburgh



Final Four


(1) Ohio State vs. (1) Duke –
Finally, a team that can match Duke man for man. The Buckeyes have five players that are as good or better than Duke’s five best. I have to stick with the Buckeyes to finally reward me for picking them, unlike they did last year with Evan Turner. OSU is dancing to the title game. Pick – Ohio State


(1) Kansas vs. (1) Pittsburgh –
About time I can pick against Pitt. Didn’t like them coming into the tournament, but they got a nice draw. Now, Kansas exploits them and wins. Just force the Panthers to switch on defense, and perhaps their big men will fall down. Pick – Kansas



Championship Game


(1) Ohio State vs. (1) Kansas – You could make an argument for Duke, but most people would agree that this is a matchup of the best two teams in the nation. Can Sullinger do what Greg Oden couldn’t? I am going to say “yes”. David Lighty, the old man, will have a big title game in his college finale, and the Buckeyes will cut down the nets in Houston. Bringing the title back to the Big Ten. Trivia Question: Are they in the Legends or Leaders division? Answer: Who gives a shit. It is the Big Ten. First Big Ten champion since Michigan State.

Champion – Ohio State

No comments:

Post a Comment